If you have ever wanted to be one of those people ewith green homes but the thought of even getting started is too daunting then we have a simple solution – instead of making your whole home green, start with your bedroom cupboard. Sound strange? Maybe, but show me a woman who doesn’t love going through her wardrobe and finding all of the clothes, shoes, vintage items, keepsakes and more that we store in there. This is one of the easiest places to start in your plans for a green home.
Keep these tips in mind when thinking about how to be green at home:
- Reuse. This is one of the simplest things you can do. Whether it’s old clothing, shoes, bags or even clothes and accessories hangers, you can reuse all of them. However, if you feel that the items are outdated or don’t fit you any more, simply send them to a local charity or thrift shop so that someone else can make use of your products and you can feel better about your green cupboard and home.
- Reduce. Don’t buy a new wardrobe at the beginning of each season. A few items that you can wear in different ways with different outfits will be cheaper on your pocket and better for the environment. When doing laundry use eco-friendly detergents.
- Consider. When you think of green accessories for your wardrobe or the home, you’re probably thinking that it will be unattractive. However, simply considering the material of clothes will make a huge difference. Opt for clothing made from organic cotton, bamboo or recycled fibres as far fewer pesticides are used to produce these.
- Avoid. Avoid materials like PVC and VOC as these can give off fumes which cause headaches and respiratory problems.
- Sustainable. When organising your cupboard choose sustainable options like recycled dividers, shoe racks, flip flop hangers and more.
By following these handy tips you can start enjoying a green home, one cupboard at a time.