While the quest for an environmentally friendly living or workspace was once considered fairly extreme, it has recently become not just the norm but also desirable. Fortunately it has also become more affordable in recent years and eco building materials can now be found in all hardware stores and even some of the larger supermarkets. Below is a list of the various eco friendly building materials that can be found in your local hardware store. Each of these has been either recycled, sustainably harvested or has been organically grown.
- These days recycled products are fairly mainstream and you will find a variety of recycled products that can be used. Rubber and polymer roofing looks like slate but it is considerably lighter and easier to maintain. A mixture of recycled glass and concrete can be used to create durable countertops, shower surrounds and even walls and floors.
- When choosing wood products you need to consider more than just the protective and high vis clothing you will wear when working with it. Ensure that the wood you use is from certified and managed forests, has been recycled or reclaimed or is a composite.
- Opt for windows with high performance and low-emissivity (low-E) glazing as these are excellent for saving energy on heating and cooling.
- More on the products side of eco friendly building materials are appliances such as washing machines and dishwashers that have been designed to use less water. Newly installed toilets must also use less than 1.6 gallons of water and some use only 0.8 of gallon.
- Tankless water heaters are compact units that attach to your plumbing system and only heat up water when required. This cuts your energy consumption drastically and should be on every eco friendly building materials list.
- Paints, varnishes and so on should also be environmentally friendly. You can ask a store assistant to show which of these products are eco friendly and which aren’t.
So next time you don your workwear clothing and are about to set out on some home renovation, consider the environment and make sure you use eco building materials.